MRS. YASMIN KHAN
As an academic advisor my key role is promoting students’ sense of belonging to an academic community and supporting their development as a successful learner within Sceptre College and beyond.
Academic guidance would include the following:
- development of a student’s conceptions of learning, study skills and critical self-awareness
- providing and encouraging supportive relations between teaching staff and students
- providing a holistic perspective on a student’s progress across the Alevel modules within their programme.
- supporting subject selection by students keeping their future options in mind.
- reviewing students’ academic progress including reviewing a student’s understanding of feedback on assessments received
- identifying students strengths and weaknesses and discussing the overall academic performance of each student
- helping students to assess how they are meeting the A-level programme’s learning outcomes.
- if the need arises intervene if there’s noticeable DECLINE in marks/grades or ATTENDANCE
- intervening if behavioral or academic problems occur
- connecting students with resources such as counsellors or teaching faculty members when the need arises
- encouraging students from the beginning of the term to engage with a range of developmental activities, relevant internships, work experience etc. to enhance their individual personal portfolios
- in addition advising and discussing with students their future career goals and college/university application.
Concluding, for me academic guidance is an extremely important part of a student’s experience at Sceptre College and one associated with overall academic improvement, academic success and future career guidance.